You may have arrived here via a direct link to a specific post. To see the most recent posts, click HERE.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Police close Taser probe after death

October 12, 2010
By Daniel Owens, Northampton Chronicle & Echo

AN investigation into the supply of controversial Taser stun guns has been closed, just days after the director of the company responsible was found dead at his home in Northampton following a suspected suicide.

Peter Boatman, the 57-year-old director of operations for Pro-Tect Systems, was found dead at his home in Reynard Way, Kingsthorpe only three days after the Home Office revoked the firm’s licence to import and sell Tasers. The weapons were used by officers from Northumbria Police in the stand-off with gunman Raoul Moat.

An investigation into the supply of the weapons was immediately launched by Northamptonshire Police following concerns terms of the licence had been breached.

But Operations Supt Sean Bell, of Protective Services Command; said in a statement yesterday: “Northamptonshire Police has concluded its investigation into the supply of X12 Taser guns and XREP ammunitions by Daventry-based Pro-Tect Systems Limited.

“The investigation identified that offences against the Firearms Act 1968 had been committed. However, taking into account all of the available evidence, including the recent tragic death of Operations Director Peter Boatman, we have concluded that it is not in the public interest to take any action against Pro-Tect Systems Limited and the investigation has now been closed.”

An inquest into Mr Boatman’s death was adjourned last week as post-mortem examinations were awaiting toxicology and histology tests.

The investigation came after it emerged that Pro-Tect Systems breached the terms of its licence by supplying X12 Tasers, which were still being tested by Government scientists, directly to police involved in the Moat manhunt.

Mr Boatman’s business partner said the former police officer was “destroyed” by the furore.

Pro-Tect’s managing director Kevin Coles said there was “no doubt” his colleague’s apparent suicide was linked to the probe.

He said: “He was a proud man and he felt ashamed at recent developments. He spent all his life involved in officer safety and what happened was a result of him being worried about the welfare of officers.”

1 comment:

Excited-Delirium.com said...

I still suspect that Mr. Boatman was in earnest telephone and email discussions with his High Priests back at the torture device factory. I have nothing but gut instinct to indicate that his Firearms Act violations were encouraged by anyone, but I have my suspicions. Someone should be reviewing the communications records.