You may have arrived here via a direct link to a specific post. To see the most recent posts, click HERE.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Mexican citizen dies at US border after he is tasered

June 3, 1010- Accorrding to news reports, Mr. Hernandez was removed from a life support machine on Monday.

May 31, 2010: A report today says that Anastasio Hernandez, 42, has been brain dead in a hospital since Friday.

May 29, 2010
San Diego News Network

A 32-year-old Mexican national was in critical condition Saturday and was not expected to survive after being shot with a stun gun in a fight with federal agents at the San Ysidro [California] border crossing, authorities said.

The scuffle took place about 9:15 p.m. Friday at the U.S. Border Patrol facility at the port of entry, said San Diego police Capt. Jim Collins.

Collins said Border Patrol agents arrested the man and his brother on Otay Mountain about two hours earlier on suspicion of entering the United States illegally.

Agents brought the men to the San Ysidro station for processing. The 32-year-old signed paperwork accepting his voluntary return to Mexico and his brother was to be returned at a later time, Collins said.

At the Border Patrol station gate leading to Mexico, agents removed the man’s handcuffs and he became violent, Collins said.

“The agents and the subject all fell to the ground during the fight and the agents radioed for assistance,” Collins said in a prepared statement.

He said Customs and Border Protection agents joined the struggle and one CBP agent fired a Taser at the man to subdue him.

A short time later, Collins said, the man stopped breathing. Agents began CPR and called paramedics. He was taken to a hospital in critical condition.

“It became clear today that the man is not expected to survive, so that’s why we were called in at 12:30 p.m.,” Collins, of the homicide unit, said in a telephone interview. “A lot of people get Tasered with no real ill effects. He could have had a pre-existing medical condition.”

It is routine for the San Diego homicide squad to investigate shootings or deaths involving any law enforcement personnel within the city.

Collins said the man’s name, and that of his brother, is being withheld until their family is notified. The names of the agents involved also were withheld.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...a busy week for those taser toting idiots...In May 2009, the total dead from tasering numbered 410 poor souls...and this year...484...How much longer will this madness continue? Is there no justice?