You may have arrived here via a direct link to a specific post. To see the most recent posts, click HERE.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Officer in BART shooting quits force, avoids internal affairs quizzing

This is a tragic story. Officials are investigating the possibility that the involved police officer may have intended to use his newly-acquired taser, but instead ended up grabbing his revolver and shooting a young, unarmed and already restrained man, Oscar Grant, to death. Today, as Oscar Grant's family gathered together for his funeral, the officer sent a resignation letter instead of showing up to answer investigators' questions. According to the following report, "Mehserle's resignation means he does not have to talk to BART investigators."

There oughta be a law ...

January 7, 2009
Demian Bulwa, Henry K. Lee, San Francisco Chronicle

The BART police officer who shot an unarmed man to death on the platform of the Fruitvale Station in Oakland early New Year's Day resigned from the force today, avoiding an interview with police internal affairs investigators about the incident.

Officer Johannes Mehserle, 27, was supposed to have been questioned today by internal affairs about why he shot Oscar Grant, 22, of Hayward as Grant lay face down on the station platform, BART spokesman Linton Johnson said.

However, Mehserle did not show up for the interview. Instead, his lawyer and union representative appeared and handed over a short resignation letter, Johnson said.

Mehserle's resignation is effective immediately. BART said its investigation of the shooting would continue, as will a separate investigation by the Alameda County district attorney's office.

BART had come under fire from John Burris, the attorney for Grant's family, for not having forced Mehserle to talk with internal affairs investigators since the shooting. Unlike in criminal investigations, in which a suspect has the right not to talk to police, officers involved in on-the-job shootings must talk to inspectors as part of administrative inquiries or risk being fired.

Mehserle's resignation means he does not have to talk to BART investigators.

"I'm not surprised," Burris said of Mehserle's departure. "It should have happened long ago."

Anger over Grant's death was evident this afternoon at Fruitvale Station, where about 200 protesters gathered just after 3 p.m. outside the entrance to the station. The demonstrators were not obstructing passengers.

Johnson said today that Mehserle's attorney, David Mastagni, had postponed a meeting between the officer and internal affairs investigators that had been set for Tuesday and wanted to reschedule it for next week. Instead, BART told Mehserle to show up this morning, Johnson said.

Mehserle resigned the same day that Grant's family gathered in Hayward for his funeral. Burris has filed a $25 million claim against BART on behalf of Grant's mother and 4-year-old daughter, the likely precursor to a lawsuit.

In the claim, Burris said Mehserle "mercilessly fired his weapon" at Grant after the supermarket butcher and several friends were pulled off a train at the Fruitvale Station following a reported dispute with another group of passengers.

Grant was unarmed when he was shot in the back; the bullet went through him and ricocheted off the platform, then hit him again in the torso.

BART, Mehserle and the officer's lawyer have all been silent about why Mehserle opened fire, but BART has said one possibility it is investigating is that Mehserle mistook his revolver for a Taser stun gun.

Mehserle was a BART police officer for two years. He and other BART officers were equipped with stun guns only within the past few weeks.

Grant's death has attracted attention well beyond the Bay Area. An official of the human rights group Amnesty International USA, Dalia Hashad, said today before Mehserle resigned that BART's delay in interviewing the officer "hints at the callousness to the worth of human life to a public that is all too familiar with racial profiling, police brutality and cover-ups."

No comments: